U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
"Shaping Tomorrow's Future" is a shared commitment present in our mission statement which pledges that, "in cooperation with the family and the community, we will educate and provide each student with the opportunity to realize his or her potential and develop into an ethical, contributing member of a changing society."
Salem Middle School is FULLY accredited by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
School Colors: Royal Blue, Silver, & White
School Mascot: Sharks
Salem Middle is located off of Lynnhaven Parkway in Virginia Beach, VA. Built on a 34 acre site, It opened its doors in September of 1988 as a Junior High School housing grades 7-9. In 1993, the school division adopted the middle school concept to house grades 6-8. Renovations to the school were completed during the summers of 1999, 2000, 2004, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015. The summer of 2016 brought new lockers at 15" wide.
- Obtained the rating of AVID Schoolwide Site of Distinction
- Recipient of the Pear Award for Excellence in Environmental Education 2020, 2019, 2018
- Recipient of the Blue Ribbon Award for District II Superior Ratings in Band, Orchestra, and Chorus. 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
- Won 1st place in the National FBI Web Safety Search in 2020
- Won 2nd place in the National Sphero Robotic Challenge in 2019